Monday, September 15, 2008

tongue tied...

Finally tried the Tied House in San Pedro Square this weekend. Here is a first-timers-first-impression...

I started off with the *Sampler 8* - 6.oz samples of each of their 8 beers. Not a bad selection, for $11.75. My initial reactions?

Alpine Gold - tastes like a slightly better version of Coors Light. Sweeter!

Cascade Amber - not too bad, a little bit o' bitterness. Clean, refreshing.

Ironwood Dark - similar to (but smoother than!) Newcastle. Really nice! Easy to drink.

New World Wheat - this is no hefewiezen! I like to think of wheat beers as a refreshing version of an alcoholic lemonade on a hot summer day. This is Not That Beer. Not cloudy, no lemon. Different (but good.)

Fruit Beer - Passionfruit Pale Ale. Now, this is the refreshing afternoon lemonade-like beer I was looking for! Fruity, but not too sweet. Would definitely order again on a warm afternoon, or on an evening when I didn't really feel like drinking. A nice change from a heartier beer.

Amber Light - bleh. Boring. And who wants a drink that's lower in *alchohol*?! Where's the fun in that? Yeah, yeah, it's lower in calories, but I don't think it's worth it.

Oatmeal Stout - pretty good flavor. Not as creamy as your typical stout, but I like it. Almost like a Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Fairly mild. Don't compare it to Guinness though...

Seasonal Special - IPA. strong. Sweet at first, bitter aftertaste. Not the best IPA I've had, (and I do love me a good IPA) but interesting.

Wouldn't Try Again: New World Wheat, Amber Light
Maybe, If I Was Already Drunk or Felt Like Switchin' It Up: Cascade Amber, Alpine Gold, Oatmeal Stout, IPA
Yes! And Make It A Pitcher!: Ironwood Dark, Passion Pale Ale

As far as the food went, I only tried the fries. The seasoning was supposed to be garlicky and pesto-y - instead it just tasted like they had a bottle of dry Parmesan cheese dumped on them. The fries themselves however, were actually quite good - browned and crispy on the outside, soft and warm on the inside. The server brought bread when I arrived, which was nice. Half brown, half white, baked together in one loaf. Kind of like a Seinfeld black-and-white cookie. Clever.

For my next trip, I plan to have the Wild Game burger. I can never seem to resist ostrich!

my apologies for the poor quality photo. spur-of-the-moment-camera-phone-shot...

No comments: